Faculty in the Psychology program introduce students to the study of behavior and mental processes within an applied framework. One of the special features of an Alvernia education is the opportunity to work closely with one or more faculty members. Faculty members serve as mentors for students in the completion of their senior theses, and students work collaboratively with faculty members on a variety of research projects. In addition to a capstone research project, some students collaborate with Psychology faculty on research projects. Collaboration on research prepares students to enter the professions and/or graduate school in various areas.
Check out other research being conducted in the department by visiting Faculty pages.
|FACULTY & STAFF CONTACTS|
Aging, Addiction, Health
|Dr. Elizabeth Matteo||
Prejudice, Social Identity
Ethics, Service Learning
Social Learning, Alcohol
Forensics, Native Americans
Ethics, Morality, Diversity
|Dr. Paul West||
Recent Student Research Projects
- Piszczek, N., Wilt, S., & Way, E. L. (2013, April). Who has the final authority? Poster presented at the 8th Annual Kutztown University Psychology Student Research Conference, Kutztown, PA.
- Way, A., Geiger, L., & Way, E. L. (2013, April). Internal vs. external motivation in children. Poster presented at the 8th Annual Kutztown University Psychology Student Research Conference, Kutztown, PA.
- Richardson, B., & Ramos, J. (2012, December). Children’s Age and Gender Stereotype. Presented at the Alvernia University Senior Seminar Course Symposium, Reading, PA.
- Morello, V., Hall, K., & Procopio, L. (2012, December). Self regulation in preschool children. Presented at the Alvernia University Senior Seminar Course Symposium, Reading, PA
- Morgan, K., Kitchen, D., & Carannante, M. (2012, December). Piaget’s conservation tasks in preschoolers. Presented at the Alvernia University Senior Seminar Course Symposium, Reading, PA
- Dierolf, G., & Generella, L. (2012, December). Presented at the Alvernia University Senior Seminar Course Symposium, Reading, PA
- Commane, S., Dietz, E., & Wolfe, J. (2012). Presented at the Alvernia University Senior Seminar Course Symposium, Reading, PA
Conferences where students presented:
- American Psychological Association, Eastern Psychological Association, Annual Conference for Undergraduate Research and Creativity, Kutztown University Psychology Conference.
Faculty Latest Presentations
- Bowen-Hartung, P.C., & Brown, T. Bringing a Leadership Research and Development Perspective to Emergency Preparedness in Higher Education. Presented at the International Leadership Association 2013 Oceania Conference, April 22-24, 2013, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Matteo, E. Bringing the ‘Other’ into the Classroom: An Intervention to Reduce Mental Illness Stigma in Undergraduates, Eastern Psychological Association, March 2012, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Ruiz, A. & Warchal, J. (2013). Ethics as an Undergraduate Outcome: When, Where and How to Teach It. Presentation at International Conference on Teaching of Psychology, Vancouver, Canada.
- Warchal, J. & West, P. (2013). Obesity is not new: Addressing it in counseling is. American Counseling Association Annual Conference and Exposition, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Way, E. L. (2013, May). Who’s drinking and should we care? The impact of fetal alcohol syndrome. Presented at the Alvernia University Cedar Hill Salon Series, Cedar Hill, PA.
- Way, E. L. (2013, January). Connecting with the community through applied experiences in research methods coursework. Presented at the National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology, St. Pete Beach, FL.
- You, D., & Penny, N. (2012, November). The Impact of Internship Experiences on Students’ Ethical Sensitivity, Ethical Reasoning and Moral Distress. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of Association for Moral Education, St. Antonio, Texas.
Faculty Latest Publications
- Bowen-Hartung, P.C. Are Colleges Prepared for Crises? Posted on August 23, 2013 posted and distributed by PRWeb. This has been picked up be over 200 media outlets.
- Denham, S. A., Way, E., Kalb, S. C., Warren-Khot, H. K., & Bassett, H. H. (2013). Preschoolers' social information processing and school readiness: The Challenging Situations Task. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 31, 180-197.
- Matteo, E. (2013). A qualitative study of undergraduates’ conceptualizations of mental illness. Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community. Special Issue: Education and Training for Social Justice, Community Activism, and Civic Engagement, 42.
- Ruiz, A., & Warchal, J., (2013). Long-Term Impact of Service-Learning on Alumni Volunteer Service Activities. In P. Lin, & M. Wiegand (Eds.), Service-learning in higher education: Connecting the global to the local (pp. 255-264), Indianapolis, IN: University of Indianapolis Press.
- Warchal, J. & West, P. L. (In press). Obesity is not new: Addressing it in counseling is. VISTAS 2013: Ideas and Research You Can Use. Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- You, D., & Matteo, E. (2013). Assessing the effectiveness of undergraduate diversity courses using the Multicultural Experiences Questionnaire. Journal of College and Character, 14(1), 59-66.
Spotlight on Research