Dr. Scott Ballantyne
Associate Professor of Business
Professor Scott Ballantyne, PRSBA joined the faculty of the Business Department at Alvernia in August of 1999. Prior to teaching, he was manager and owner in the business world for more than sixteen years.
Scott Ballantyne, PRSBA, is an associate professor of business at Alvernia University.
He holds a doctorate in education administration from Widener University and a master in public administration from Kutztown University, but is most proud of the degree he obtained as an undergraduate accounting student at Alvernia, in 1986.
Dr. Ballantyne is the recipient of Alvernia’s 2009 Christian R. & Mary F. Lindback Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching and was also recognized in 2009 by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) which honored him with the Teaching Excellence Award for Region Two (Pennsylvania, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia).
- Widener University, Chester, PA
Degree: Doctor of Education (ED.D.); May, 1997
- Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA
Degree: Master of Public Administration (MPA); May, 1991
- Alvernia College, Reading, PA
Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Accounting (B.A.); December, 1986
- Reading Area Community College, Reading, PA
Degree: Associate of Applied Sciences in Mgmt (A.A.S.); December, 1983
Professional Licenses & Registrations
- Licensed Securities Agent – Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Variable Annuities (FINRA)
- Licensed Agent: Accident & Health, Life and Fixed Annuities
- Pennsylvania Registered School Business Administrator (PRSBA)
EPLC Policy & Leadership Fellow, Graduated: June 2007
The Education Policy and Leadership Center, Harrisburg, PA
Institute for Education Leadership, Washington, DC
EPLC Policy and Leadership Fellow program is an intensive leadership program that requires a year long commitment and requires attendance at monthly seminars and a minimum of one national conference on leadership and/or policy.
Additional Continuing Education
American College, Bryn Mawr, PA
Currently enrolled in Chartered Financial Consultant curriculum. (ChFC)
HS 352 Financial Decisions –Retirement, 2008
HS 328 Investments, 2003
HS 326 Planning for Retirement Needs, 2003
HS 322 Financial Systems in the Eco., 2003
HS 318 Insurance & Financial Planning, 2000
HS 321 Income Taxation, 2000
AIG/AGSI, Houston, TX
Annual completion of NASD compliance training (Series 7)
Anti-Money Laundering for Securities, 2008
Sales Practice Manual Certification, 2008
FINRA Annual Compliance Meeting, 2008
FINRA Regulatory Element Training, 2008
FINRA 2821 Varaible Annuity Training, 2008
Adv. Concepts in Anti-Money Laundering, 2007
Daily Ethical Dilemmas- Code of Conduct, 2007
Retirement Planning for Seniors, 2007
Retirement Plan Rollovers, 2007
Annual Compliance Meeting, 2006
Sale of Variable Annuities to Seniors, 2006
Life Insurance and Annuity Replacement, 2006
Anti-Money Laundering Update, 2006
The SEC’s New Books and Records Rules, 2006
The New Rules for IRA Distributions, 2005
Individual Retirement Accounts, 2005
Electronic Communications, 2005
Ethical Conduct in Financial Services, 2005
NASD Annual Compliance Meeting, 2005
NASD Regulatory Element Training, 2004
Anti-Money Laundering Update, 2004
Breakpoints (Mutual Funds), 2004
Customer Identification Procedures, 2004
Customer Communication II – Series 7, 2004
NASD Annual Compliance Meeting, 2003
Preventing & Detecting Money Laundering 2, 2003
Customer Communications, 2003
Market Conduct, 2003
Preventing & Detecting Money Laundering, 2002
Mutual Funds (Advanced), 2002
Act 529 Plans & Other College Savings, 2002
NASD S101 Regulatory Element, 2001
Mutual Fund Switching /. 1035 Exchanges, 2001
Variable Annuity Sales Practices, 2001
Regulatory Compliance / Sales Standards, 2001
Communications with the Public, 2001
National Institute of Health
Office of Human Subjects Research
Protecting Human Research Participants, 2008
Certificate # 25935
- 2009 Excellence in Teaching Award from the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs for Region 2 and nominated for the 2009 International Excellence in Teaching Award.
- 2009 Lindback Distinguished Teaching Award from the Christian R. & Mary F. Lindback Foundation presented for excellence in teaching.
- 2004 Graduate Faculty Award for dedication to Alvernia College and serving as a role model to students.
- 2002 Alvernia College Alumni Association Ellen Frei Gruber Award for Distinguished Alumni for service to the community, the college, and the alumni association.
- 2002 Dual Career Associate of the Year for outstanding performance in the Lebo Group – AIG American General
- 2002 Top 5 Dual Career Associate – New England Region for production of category one products and services.
- 1995 PASBO Award of Achievement (Health Insurance Consortium) Awarded for innovative ideas in school business management.
- Alvernia University, Reading, PA
8/99-Present, Associate Professor–Business: 4/2005 to present
MBA Program Coordinator: 8/1999–12/2007
Department Chair – Business: 7/2003–6/2006
ACBSP Initial Accreditation Coordinator: 2005–2006
Assistant Professor–Business: 8/1999–4/2005
- East Penn Financial Services, Topton, PA
8/98–Present, Owner/Registered Representative/Agent
- Fleetwood Area School District, Fleetwood, PA
11/96–8/99, Business Manager
- Oley Valley School District, Oley, PA
8/91–11/96, Director of Business and Support Services
- Antietam School District, Reading, PA
8/88–8/91, Business Manager
- Saint Clair Area School District, Saint Clair, PA
11/87–8/88, Fiscal Manager
- Blanski & Phillips, Inc., Reading, PA
Publications & Presentations
- Leadership decision-making utilizing a strategic focus to enhance global achievement: Journal of Management and Marketing Research: September 2012: ISSN: 1941-3408, Vol 11. AABRI, Jacksonville, FL.
- Comparing the Intensity of Student Attitude and Perception Changes toward Foreign Countries from Short-Term Travel Courses:
- Co-authored book Planning in Reverse A Viable Approach to Organizational Leadership published by Rowman & Littlefield Education. ISBN: 978-1-60709-793-8. February, 2011.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2009. Let Them In: The Case for Open Boarders By Riley, Jason L., 2008. Gotham Books, New York, NY
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2009. Beyond the Boycott: Labor Rights, Human Rights, and Transnational Activism By Seidman, Gary W., 2007. Russell Sage Foundation, New York, NY
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2009. The World's Business Cultures and How to Unlock Them By Tomain, Barry. & Nicks, Mike, 2007. Stylus Publishing, Sterling, VA
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2007. The Dragon Looks South: China and Southeast Asia in the New Century By Percival, Bronson, 2007. Greenwood/Praeger Security International, Westport, CT.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2007. China Road: A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power By Gifford, Rob, 2007. Random House, New York, NY.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Winter, 2007. The Chinese Negotiator: How to Succeed in the World’s Largest Market. By March, Robert & Wu, Su-Hua, 2007. Kodansha Publishing, New York, NY.
- Scholarly Book Review: Multicultural Review: Summer, 2007. Corporate Social Responsibility and International Development: Is Business the Solution? By Hopkins, Michael, 2006. Stylus Publishing, Sterling, VA.
- Utilization of Evidenced-Based Practice by Registered Occupational Therapists: co authored with Karen Cameron et.al. Occupational Therapy International: December, 2005. OTI 12(3):123-136. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: Spring, 2005. Culture from the Inside Out: Travel and Meet Yourself by Cornes, Alan, 2004. Intercultural Press, Yarmouth, ME.
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: Spring, 2005. How Education Ideologies Are Shaping Global Society: Intergovernmental Organizations, NGOs, and the Decline of the Nation State by Spring, Joel, 2004. Erlbaum & Associates, Mahwah, NJ.
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: September, 2004. The Rise of the Hispanic Market in the United States: Challenges, Dilemmas, and Opportunities for Corporate Management by Nevear, Louis, 2004. ME Sharpe, Inc., New York.
- Scholarly Book Review: MultiCultural Review: March, 2004. Diversity & Entrepreneurship: Analyzing Successful Women Entrepreneurs by Smith-Hunter, Andrea, 2003. Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham, MD.
- Teaching Cultural and Racial Understanding Through International Travel Courses: Student Perceptions Through Travel to Cuba: MultiCultural Review: December, 2003
- Berks County Schools Flirt with Healthcare Consortium, PASBO Report: May, 1994
- Construction Project Representative: An Asset to the Organization, PASBO Report: July, 1992
Socioeconomic Impact and Conditions of the Temple LNG Expansion Project Co-authored with Tufan Tiglioglu. Prepared for UGI Utilities for submission to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). August, 2007
- Is Consensus the Death of Leadership? The Case for Building a Culture of Change. A presentation for the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce "Executive Leadership: program held at the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce, Pottsville, PA. May, 2009
- Investigating the Need for Contingent Faculty Inclusion in Shared Governance to Maintain Faculty Leadership in the Academy. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 2009 Annual Conference, Sarasota, FL. February, 2009
- Is Consensus the Death of Leadership? The Case for Building a Culture of Change. A presentation for the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce "Executive Leadership" program held at Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce, Pottsville, PA. May, 2008
- Purposeful Engagement for Business Advisory Boards. A presentation for the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs 2007 annual conference in Lake Buena Vista, FL. June, 2007
- Ensuring the Availability of School Leaders for Today and Tomorrow. A paper co-authored and co-presented at the Dixon University Center on behalf of the Education Policy and Leadership Center, Harrisburg, PA. May, 2007
- Is Consensus the Death of Leadership? The Case for Building a Culture of Change. A presentation for the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce “Executive Leadership” program held at the Schuylkill County Chamber of Commerce, Pottsville, PA. May, 2007
- Equipment Check: Reaching Your Goals Through Financial Discipline. A presentation for the Young Women’s Future Symposium for Junior Achievement of Berks County, Inc. held at Alvernia College. October 2005.
- Aging Wisely; Living Well: Financial Planning. A presentation for senior citizens through the Senior’s College at Alvernia College. October 2004.
- Personal Management-Requirements 4, 5, & 6: Boy Scout Merit Badge Program. A presentation provided for boy scouts obtaining the Personal Management merit badge. Presented at Alvernia College. August 2004
- A Statistical Analysis of Data Involving the 21st Century Grant for the Reading School District. A paper presented to the grant directors for use in the evaluation of the grant effectiveness and continuation of funding. April, 2004.
- Governor Edward Rendell’s Plan for a New Pennsylvania: The Financial Implications of Smaller Class Sizes in Kindergarten Through Third Grade in Berks County, PA. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 27th Annual Conference, Clearwater, FL: February, 2004
- Education for All: More Than a Score. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 27th Annual Conference, Clearwater, FL: February, 2004
- Thoughts About Retirement. A workshop presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 27th Annual Conference, Clearwater, FL: February, 2004
- Managing Your Portfolio: 412i Plans and Beta Management. A presentation offered at the Healthcare MBA Weekend Forum, Alvernia College: August, 2003
- The Impact of Corporate Scandals on American Business: Corporate Structure and American Equity Markets. An Alvernia College Faculty Forum presentation at Alvernia College, Reading, PA: March, 2003
- Alternative Funding Methods for Construction and Maintenance of Pennsylvania Schools. A paper co-presented at the Eastern Education Research Association 26th Annual Conference, Hilton Head, South Carolina: February, 2003
- An Inside Look at the Economy & Politics in Cuba. A two-day seminar presented for the Alvernia College Seniors College, Alvernia College, Reading, PA: February, 2003
- The Effects of International Travel Courses on Student Understanding of Global and Racial Issues. A paper presented at the Eastern Educational Research Association 25th Annual Conference, Sarasota, Florida: February, 2002
- Section 529 Plans & 403B Plans. A presentation to Mid-East PASBO, Berks County Intermediate Unit, Reading, PA: November, 2001
- Strategic Planning for Not-for-profits. A paper presented at the Government & Not-for-profit Conference, Sheraton Reading Hotel, Wyomissing, PA: September, 2001
- Strategic Planning for Not-for-Profit Entities. A workshop presented for the Berks County Chamber of Commerce, Exide Office Building, Reading, PA: May, 2001
- What Every Board Member Needs to Know. A presentation for the Berks County Chamber of Commerce, Alvernia College, Reading, PA: March, 2001
- Is This a Hobby or a Business? A presentation for the Pennsylvania Crafter’s Guild, Berks County Intermediate Unit, Reading, PA: December, 2000
- Chief Negotiators of Bargaining Units and Collective Bargaining Outcomes. A paper presented at the Eastern Educational Research Association 23rd Annual Conference, Clearwater, Florida: February, 2000
Planning In Reverse