Passwords are an important aspect of computer security. They are the front line of protection for user accounts. A poorly chosen password may result in the compromise of Alvernia University’s network. As such, all Alvernia University students and employees (including contractors and vendors with access to Alvernia University systems) are responsible for taking the appropriate steps, as outlined below, to select and secure their passwords.
The purpose of this policy is to establish a standard for creation of strong passwords, the protection of those passwords, and the frequency of change.
The scope of this policy includes all users who have or are responsible for an account (or any form of access that supports or requires a password) on any system that resides at any Alvernia University facility, has access to the Alvernia University network, or stores any non-public Alvernia University information.
- Passwords must be a minimum of eight (8) characters in length.
- They must contain at least 3 of the following character sets:
- Upper case alphabetic (A-Z)
- Lower case alphabetic (a-z)
- Numerals (0-9)
- Special characters (+ / ! # ^ : . , ~ -)
- Passwords cannot contain two consecutive characters of your username, first name, or last name
- New password must be different from last 3 used passwords
- Accounts will automatically be locked for 15 minutes after 10 failed password attempts.
- All temporary passwords must be changed at first logon.
- Student and Alumni
- Faculty & Staff (including contractors and vendors)
Policy communication will be published on Alvernia’s website.
Members of Alvernia University are responsible for all actions performed using their computer account. It is important that faculty, administrators, staff and students protect their passwords and under no circumstances should a password be shared with anyone. If you suspect that your password has been compromised, it is your responsibility to immediately reset your password.