Deborah Greenawald, Ph.D., RN, PA-CSN, CNE
Associate Professor of Nursing
Coordinator of the post-BSN School Nurse Certification Program
- August 2010, PhD in Nursing
Widener University, Chester, PA
- August 2000, Master of Science in Nursing (Community Based/School Health)
Widener University, Chester, PA
- Fall 1993, Completed certification requirements (PA School Nurse)
Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA
- May 1988, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- June 1980, Bachelor of Music in Music Education/Vocal Performance
Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA
- NUR 201 Foundations of Professional Nursing I (sophomore level)
- NUR 202 Foundations of Nursing Clinical Lab
- NUR 210 Introduction to Nursing Practice: Roles and Responsibilities
- NUR 314(313) Nursing & Human Responses II (Jr. level): Clinical coordination and supervision for Psych/Mental Health//Death & Dying
- NUR 409 Nursing Leadership/Management (Sr. level)
- NUR 404-RN Nursing Leadership and Ethical Dimensions (RN-BSN completion); Blended (hybrid) format
- NUR 098 Assessment of Professional Nursing Competencies (1-credit course for transfer and returning students)
- NUR 099 Transition to Professional Nursing (1-credit course for LPN’s enrolling in the baccalaureate program)
- COL 110 First Year Seminar (“Freshman Foundations”)
- Special Topics: School Nurse Certification & MEd Program (focus in school health)
- NUR 610 Coordinated School Health Program Design (course designer)
- NUR 620 At Risk School Environments: Emergency Planning and Response (course designer)
- NUR 642 Teaching Strategies in Nursing (Practicum)
- Alvernia Seniors College: “John Philip Sousa: The Man and His Music” (winter 2007)
- Greenawald, D. A. (November 2011). “Read a Good Book Lately? Using Literature to Expand your Nursing Knowledge” [a book review on Knowing Jesse]. NASN School Nurse. DOI: 10.1177/1942602X11421010
- Greenawald, D. A. (September 2011). “Read a Good Book Lately? Using Literature to Expand your Nursing Knowledge” [a book review on Our Iceberg is Melting]. NASN School Nurse. DOI: 10.1177/1942602X11413761
- Greenawald, D. A. (July 2011). “Read a Good Book Lately? Using Literature to Expand your Nursing Knowledge” [a book review on Hotel on The Story of Beautiful Girl]. NASN School Nurse. DOI: 10.1177/1942602X11408108
- Greenawald, D. A. (May 2011). “Read a Good Book Lately? Using Literature to Expand your Nursing Knowledge” [a book review on Brave Girl Eating]. NASN School Nurse. DOI: 10.1177/1942602X11399769
- Greenawald, D. A. (March 2011). “Read a Good Book Lately? Using Literature to Expand your Nursing Knowledge” [a book review on 19 Minutes]. NASN School Nurse. DOI: 10.1177/1942602X10395599
- Greenawald, D. A. (January 2011). “Read a Good Book Lately? Using Literature to Expand your Nursing Knowledge” [a book review on Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet]. NASN School Nurse. DOI: 10.1177/1942602X10389054
- Greenawald, D. A. (November 2010). “Read a Good Book Lately? Using Literature to Expand your Nursing Knowledge” [a book review on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime]. NASN School Nurse. DOI: 10.1177/1942602X10381284
- Greenawald, D.A. (2010). Faculty involvement in undergraduate research: Considerations for nurse educators. Nursing Education Perspectives, 31 (6), 368-371.
- Greenawald, D. A. (2010). Understanding reflection from the perspective of baccalaureate nursing students. (Doctoral Dissertation, Widener University). Dissertation Abstracts International.
- April 2008, “School Nurse Book Clubs: An Innovative Strategy for Lifelong Learning”, The Journal of School Nursing, 24 (2), p. 20-24.
- Fall 2008, “LIVE! from the Sim Lab” [Clinical Simulation in Nursing Education, the official journal of the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning, INACSL]
- February 27, 2007, “SOS for Nursing Students: A local college includes self-care components in one of its courses” [ADVANCE for Nurses Maryland/DC/Virginia edition): reprinted in the Sept. 3, 2007 (Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware) edition]
- Fall 2006, “Using the Media Effectively to Advance School Nursing” [article published in The Examiner, newsletter of the Pennsylvania Association of School Nurses & Practitioners]
- 2003 (copyright) Essay “Building Bridges Between Health and Education” published in A Long Way From Henry Street: A Collection of Stories Written by School Nurses, MacGill & Company
- October 19, 2011 "Using Reading and Reflection to Strengthen Professional Practice" (scheduled public event as part of the Alvernia Literary Festival)
- October 12, 2011 Infusing Evidence into Practice: The Practice of Mindfulness to Improve Patient Safety (Panel Moderator and Presenter)
- October 12, 2011 Second Annual Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Best Practice Symposium sponsored by the Berks Regional Nursing Research Alliance (Reading, PA)
- November 11, 2010 “Understanding Reflection from a Nursing Student’s Perspective" Fall Meeting, Upsilon Zeta Chapter (Sigma Theta Tau International), Reading, PA.
- June 27, 2009 “School Nurse Book Clubs: An Innovative Strategy for Continuing Professional Education” National Association of School Nurses 41st Annual Conference (Boston, MA) [Joint presenter with Theresa Adams]
- October, 2008 “One Book, One Alvernia --- The Little Flowers of St. Francis” [in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary of Alvernia as part of the Alvernia Literary Festival]
- April 29, 2008 “Nursing Perspectives on the Bio-Medical Management of Autism Spectrum Disorders” Guest lecturer for SPE 341 (Alvernia College)
- March 25, 2008, “Candidates and Their Faith: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue”
One of four faculty members on a panel presented by the Center for Ethics & Leadership as part of the Alvernia Spring Lecture Series.
- November 2007, “This I Believe” essay recorded by WITF-FM (Harrisburg, PA) for broadcast on the “Morning Edition” daily radio show.
- June 2007, Poster Presentation “Open Your Eyes and Minds: Using Literature as a Continuing Education Strategy for School Nurses”, at the National Association of School Nurses 39th Annual Conference, Nashville, TN [Poster received First Place Award in the Research Category]
- March 23, 2007, “Reflection in Nursing: A Concept Analysis” Nursing Research Day: Eta Beta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International (Widener University)
- December 20, 2006, “Women in Science: An Introduction to Nursing and Allied Health” Six presentations given to students from Northeast Middle School (Reading, PA) at Alvernia as part of the ‘Soy Unica!’ event, an outreach of the Girl Scouts-Great Valley Council.
- September 2006, Poster Presentation “Creatively Expanding Nursing Knowledge: A Senior Capstone Project”, at the Annual Education Summit of the National League for Nursing (NLN), New York City.
- August 2, 2006, “Visual Learning: Using Multimedia Tools as a Teaching Strategy” Widener University (in conjunction with NURS 853)
- February 5, 2006, “Healing and Hope”, a sermon given during the morning worship service at St. Thomas UCC in coordination with UCC Women’s Week
- October 25, 2005, “How Riding the Bus with My Sister Enhanced the Nursing Education of Alvernia Nursing Students”: A community presentation at the Muhlenberg Public Library
- May 2005, American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) “Hot Topics” Conference Scottsdale, AZ): Poster presentation on “Using Literary Journalism to Teach Mental Health Nursing”
- May 2005, “Many Roles, One Profession”: Motivational Presentation to the Nursing Staff of the Pennsylvania Department of Health/Reading Area Office during National Nurse’s Week 2005.
- October 2002, Open World 2002 Program: Presentation to group of visiting Russian Nurses on “The Role of the School Nurse in U.S. Public Schools” (hosted by Alvernia)
- January 2001, WGAL-TV (Ch. 8, Lancaster, PA)
Live interview program on School Health with host Lori Burkholder and Wanda Filer, Surgeon General of Pennsylvania
- November 2000, “School-Community Health Programs: Partnerships for Better Living”
A presentation to the Berks County School Counselors Association
- April 2000, Poster Presentation, PASNAP Annual Conference (Harrisburg, PA), “National Eating Disorders Screening Program”
- The Journal of School Nursing (Julia M. Cowell, Executive Editor). Peer reviewer for manuscripts submitted for publication consideration, August 2009 – present
- School Nursing: A Comprehensive Text (J. Selekmann). Content expert and Chapter Reviewer for 2nd edition (2010), Chapter 39 “Health Services Management: Staff Health”.
- Taylor’s Clinical Nursing Skills: A Nursing Process Approach (P. Evans-Smith). Chapter 11(Nutrition) reviewed for 2nd edition [published 2007, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins].
- Leadership Roles and Management Function in Nursing: Theory and Application (6th edition), B. L. Marquis & Carol J. Huston, authors. 2009. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Project SUCCESS. August 2011 - present.
Co-Coordinator of 3-year HRSA grant-funded program designed to increase baccalaureate-level nursing education opportunities for economically and educationally disadvantaged individuals, including racial and ethnic minorities underrepresented among nurses, who attend Alvernia University, a majority of which come from local Reading, PA and nearby counties. (Dr. Karen Thacker, Principal Investigator and Director).
Reflection in nursing; the use of reflection as a teaching-learning strategy; music as a healing modality; learning styles; utilizing literature and creative arts in nursing education; clinical simulation in nursing education.