What is an Orientation Weekend Leader / Orientation Assistant? An Orientation Weekend Leader (OWL) or Orientation Assistant (OA) is a current Alvernia University student who plays an integral role in New Student Orientation (NSO). The main role of all OWLs and OAs is to assist in making our new students feel welcome. OWLs and OAs also answer any questions our new students or their families might have, or direct the new student to the appropriate person to answer the question.
What are the benefits of being an OWL or OA? First and foremost, OWLs and OAs have FUN! OWLs and OAs look back on their experience and are extremely proud of the vital role they played in the lives of our new students and in orientation. OWLs and OAs develop leadership skills, meet new people, and have the opportunity to move back onto campus earlier than the rest of the returning students.
What are the requirements that must be met in order to be an OWL or OA?
- Complete and submit the attached OWL/OA Application and two recommendation forms by Friday, March 15th
- Complete an interview with one or more members of the Student Activities Staff. You will schedule your interview in-person when you hand in your application or you will be contacted via Alvernia e-mail.
- Attend OWL and OA training on Sunday, August 18th through Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 (you must attend each day in its entirety).
- Participate in all activities relating to New Student Orientation on Thursday, August 22nd through Monday, August 26th, 2013. *Please Note: ALL OWLs and OAs will be expected to assist with Check-In and Move-In on Thursday morning of New Student Orientation.
- Be in good academic standing (as of the end of the Spring 2013 semester).
- Resident Assistants may not be OWLs or OAs due to the role they will have during NSO.
Thank you for your interest in the Alvernia University OWL/OA program. Applications will be available Friday, February 8th. Pick one up in the Office of Student Activities (2nd Floor Campus Commons). Applications are due back on Friday, March 15th. Contact Abby Swatchick, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Student Activities with questions at 610-568-1474.
*Please return completed OWL/OA Application to the Office of Student Activities by Friday, March 15th if you wish to be considered for the Fall 2013 OWL/OA Program. You will be notified by Friday, April 12th as to whether or not you have been accepted into the program.
**Interviews will occur from Monday, March 11th through Friday, March 29th; as mentioned above, you will schedule your interview in-person when you hand in your application or you will be contacted via Alvernia e-mail.
***All OWLs and OAs will be required to attend a mandatory meeting on Thursday, April 25th at 4:30 pm or Friday, April 26th at 5:00 pm. Location is Commons Living Room.