Chip Kidd Miller Gallery Reception
Please join us for a reception in The Miller Gallery on Wednesday, October 16 from 4:00-6:00 p.m. for the opening of the creative work of Chip Kidd and to meet the artist.
Chip Kidd is a Berks County native and Graphic Designer/Writer in New York City (and Stonington, C.T., and Palm Beach, Fla.). His book cover designs for Alfred A. Knopf, where he has worked non-stop since 1986, have helped create a revolution in the art of American book packaging. He is the recipient of the National Design Award for Communications, as well at the Use of Photography in Design award from the International Center of Photography.
Kidd has published two novels, "The Cheese Monkeys and The Learners," and "Batman: Death By Design," an original graphic novel published by DC Comics and illustrated by Dave Taylor. He is also the author of several books about comics, notably "Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz," "Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross," "Batman: Animated," "Jack Cole and Plasticman" (with Art Spiegelman), "Batman Collected," "Shazam! The Golden Age of the World's Mightiest Mortal," and "Bat-Manga: The Secret History of Batman in Japan."
He is also the co-author and designer of "True Prep," the sequel to the beloved "Official Preppy Handbook." A distinguished and prolific Lecturer, Kidd has spoken at Princeton, Yale, Harvard, RISD and many other places. His 2012 TED talk has garnered over 400,000 hits as of this writing, and is cited as one of the "funniest of the year."
Start Date: 10/16/2013 4:00 pm
End Date: 10/16/2013 6:00 pm
Location: The Miller Gallery, Francis Hall
Sponsor: Literary Festival
- History: Established as a private four-year liberal arts college in 1958, Alvernia celebrated its 50th year by being awarded university status in 2008.
- Heritage: Founded by the Bernardine Sisters, a Catholic religious order, the university embraces the Franciscan core values of service, humility, collegiality, contemplation and peacemaking.
- Motto: “To Learn, To Love, To Serve”
- Campus: The main campus in Reading is 121 acres, with two satellite campuses in Philadelphia and Pottsville (Schuylkill County).
- Location: Our residential campus is situated three miles from center-city Reading, in the scenic Blue Mountain area of Eastern Pennsylvania.
- Enrollment: 3,000 students attend Alvernia including 1,500 traditional undergraduates, 600 continuing education students, and 780 graduate students. Over 77% of first-year students live on campus.
- Faculty: Our professors are accomplished scholars, experts in their fields, and supportive mentors. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1. Most classes are 20 students or fewer.
- Athletics: NCAA Division III, member of the Commonwealth Conference of the Middle Atlantic States Athletic Corporation and member of Eastern College Athletic Conference, 8 men’s and 10 women’s intercollegiate sports.